Tuesday 3 March 2015

Lost in Milan

So,
Life in Milan has officially begun, or should I say Lost in Milan.

Firstly I'd like to say a massive thank you to my Mum for being an absolute star in helping my move out here seem a little easier. I love you so much and couldn't of done it without your constant support and determination.

Day one went 'tits up' from 5am, underestimating Luton airport's queueing system even at dawn found myself and my mother running through the terminal straight to the gate with about 10 minutes to spare - who needs to laze around at the airport anyway.
After a sweet 90 minute flight we arrived in Milano, the airport being small but practical saw us through within 30 minutes of arriving. Mum being all forward thinking and so all decided to hire a car. NEVER HIRE A CAR IN MILAN.
Italian drivers, Italian roads and Italian sat navs are not the best combination.

My apartment is gorgeous, its quaint and practical. My room is almost too large for the lack of belongings I've been able to cram into 2 suitcases however the balcony is amazing. I have a separate corner balcony overlooking a typical Milan street which in essence is all I need.

Venturing the train line is very different to England. The underground space is huge, almost too big to justify it being unused and feels almost abandoned. The trains themselves have 3 storeys - space saving or what. Definitely beats the met line.

The Politecnico di Milano is based in Bovisa, north of Milan and around 15 minutes from my apartment, The town is quiet, run down and it seems that the university takes centre stage with its brightly chosen colour scheme and garish structures.

The University itself felt very safe and communal. I don't think I'll ever get used to how much Italians stare - it's a thing they do apparently - that and not smiling (I definitely won't get used to that considering I've been trained to smile continuously at customers at work.)

DO NOT DRIVE IN MILAN, apparently its against the law to park within 15 metres of a bus stop - and there is no guessing where we parked. After walking up and down the road 3 times realising the car was missing, Mum thought it was wise calling the Police… lets just say we got the car back at a price - lesson learnt.

We ventured to Ikea, bought the essentials and then finally had some dinner. Dinner being the biggest pizza I have ever seen - I was content.

So the first day in my new home was eventful and definitely a day I would not choose to do again however I feel getting lost in Milan with become very natural in the next few months!

Over and out.

S x



No comments:

Post a Comment