Monday 16 March 2015

Adventures in Milan



Into our third week and still full of illness and grossness, wondering whether I'm ever going to walk around Milan without coughing at this rate! Here I am sipping on my honey and lemon infused water that my flat mate kindly offered me. (we're friends now that we made them all a Victoria Sponge (sort of cake) to make up for our lack of mopping.)


So we've officially finished our first whole week of University. If someone said to me this time last year  that I would be completing my second year of study abroad, I honestly would've laughed as my degree is hard enough let alone with the added complication of the language barrier. 

Our Wednesday lecture on the use of colour was cancelled (boohoo) - so what other way would we spend a day off other than sunning ourselves around Milan. 
After little deliberation we caught the bus to the Castello Sforzesco, a beautiful 13th Century castle with a gorgeous cascading fountain nicknamed 'the wedding cake.' We roamed the castle's grounds and took a particular interest in the moat of cats - yes cats. How and why I don't know however these cats were fascinating who cares about the old ruins around us?!?!
So after tirelessly walking around for 10 minutes we found a bar and tried our very first Aperol Spritzer - never ever ever again. This orange syrupy cough solution tasted just the same and only tasted faintly better when diluted with the ice cubes - the mojito on the other hand went down a lot easier. 
We manoeuvred over to Porta Genova on an old tram (so cute) and found ourselves tasting our first Aperitivo.
In Milan most bars or restaurants serve a small unlimited buffet accompanied with a drink for around 10 euros from around 6pm till 10pm. Absolute bargain if you're feeling peckish but not hungry enough for dinner. So lets just say we pigged out, definitely felt judged by the male servers but the cheesy lasagne was just too good to not have seconds.



     
                                   










Our mission to visit Lake Como last week was put on hold due to train strikes however for only 10 euro return I feel its not just a one time visit! So instead of a trip to the Lakes we decided to visit the Gianfranco Ferre as well as the Van Gogh exhibition (as it as only around for the week.) I felt both offered such an array of pieces and it had an air of exclusiveness knowing I was viewing the collections in Milan. 




All in all the week has flown by and I cannot wait to be reunited with my Mother and her friends this Saturday. 4 days of unprecedented fun and laughter! Updates to follow - wish me luck!
S xx

No comments:

Post a Comment